Durango enjoys an ideal four season climate with moderate temperatures year-round. Winters are mostly mild and sunny, even after a big snowfall. Summer temperatures are typically under 95 degrees with low humidity and cool nights.
We LOVE our 300 days of sunshine per year here in Durango!
Durango is a real authentic western town that was founded in the 1880’s with a thriving historic downtown, which now boasts modern conveniences like our state-of-the art regional hospital, Mercy Regional Medical Center (Centura Health). Situated in the Animas River Valley at the base of the San Juan Mountains with many 14,000 foot summits nearby, we have endless recreation opportunities like snow sports at our ski resort only 25 miles away, world-class mountain biking, river running (right through town), live performances at our Community Concert Hall, sporting events at Fort Lewis College, and many fine dining choices.
Our biggest tourist attractions are nearby Mesa Verde National Park and the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. With more than 14,000 Durango residents. Our County’s population is over 51,000 and growing. Durango is the County seat and a regional business hub in our corner of the state with daily regional flights at our commercial airport, Durango-La Plata County Airport.
Durango Area Resources
- Bayfield School District: serves grades K-12 through four district schools: Bayfield Primary School, Bayfield Elementary School,
Bayfield Middle School and Bayfield High School
- Business Improvement District (BID): supported by more than 200 unique shops, hotels, restaurants, galleries and businesses that make Durango a “real” town, helps sustain this vibrant community.
- City of Durango official website: Source for public policies, projects, Parks and Recreation and our NEW library.
- Durango 9-R School District: information for 7 elementary schools (Park, Florida Mesa, Fort Lewis Mesa, Sunnyside, Animas Valley, Needham, and Riverview), 2 middle schools (Miller and Escalante) and one high school (Durango High School)
- Durango Area Chamber of Commerce: Local business source
- Durango Area Chamber’s Relocation Guide: Demographic and relocation information
- Durango Area Tourism Office: Information about Durango, area events, attractions and resources
- Durango Downtown: What’s happening in the heart of downtown and around town.
- Durango-La Plata County Airport: our airport is the premier commercial air facility in the Four Corners area. We have daily service from American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, United Express, and US Airways
- Durango Local Newspaper – The Durango Herald: Daily news source
- DurangoTV.com: watch Durango community news (cable channel 15) online for local reporting and feature stories about culture, lifestyle, activities and attractions in Southwest Colorado
- HomesFund: formerly known as Regional Housing Alliance, this organization serves Southwest Colorado by offering mortgage assistance, as well as pre-purchase counseling and education to La Plata County residents to help reduce the cost of purchasing a home. Sign up for their first-time homebuyer class to learn more about their programs
- Ignacio School Disctrict: includes Ignacio Elementary School, Ignacio Intermediate School, Ignacio Middle School and Ignacio
- La Plata County: La Plata County information and Assessor Property Database
- La Plata County Economic Development Alliance: a public-private partnership whose mission is to help to grow quality jobs and diversify the economy of La Plata County, Colorado.
- Mercy Regional Medical Center/Centura Health: In 2006, the new Mercy Hospital opened at the Grandview/Three Spring area of Durango with their 212,000-square-foot state-of-the-art 82-beds facility that has the latest medical technologies and an attached 153,000-square-foot medical office building and ambulatory surgical center.
- Purgatory Mountain Cams
- Region 9 Economic Development District of SW Colorado: Non-profit serving the counties of Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma and San Juan, and the cities and towns within those regions, as well as the Southern Ute Indian Tribe and the Ute Mountain Ute Indian Tribe. Programs include revolving loan program for “gap” financing to assist small business retention, expansion and job creation. They also offer a micro-enterprise loan program for loans up to $100,000 for qualifying small businesses with five or fewer employees. Region 9 EDD administers the Colorado Enterprise Zone Tax Credit program and offers strategic planning and technical assistance for businesses.
- SkiPurg.com: Families consider our local ski resort that is only 25 miles north of Durango to be “Top Value Ski Spot” and very family-friendly with a wide variety of terrain to appeal to all ski & snow boarding abilities, along with other winter sports activities to choose from too. The 2015/2016 season marks Purgatory’s 50th winter of skiing in Southwest Colorado.
- Snow Report from Colorado Ski Country for ski areas state-wide. Purgatory Village at Durango Mountain Resort is only 25 miles north of town.
- Webcams for area provided by The Durango Herald: Keep an eye on what’s happening “real time” in and around Durango
- Webcams for Durango Weather & Road Conditions
- 13 Small Towns That Are Even More Enchanting in the Winter – Reader’s Digest TRAVEL – January 2019
- 10 things you need to see when driving Colorado’s Million Dollar Highway – USA Today’s 10BEST – January 3, 2019
- 15 Under-the-Radar Places to Visit in 2019 – Reader’s Digest
- The Most Historical Hotel in Every State – Reader’s Digest
- The most beautiful train ride in every state – Business Insider NL – October 24, 2018
- 9 Best Christmas Towns to Visit in Colorado – Trips to Discover – November 20, 2017
- 10 places you need to see when driving from Boulder to Mesa Verde – 10Best – November 2, 2018
- The 14 Coolest Towns for Your Summer Vacation – Forbes – April 26, 2018
- High Desert Devo delivers with small team at mountain bike state championships – The Journal – October 22, 2019
- The Best Places To Spend Christmas – Travel + Leisure – November 30, 2015
- 2018’s Top 3 Colorado Ski Town Investments – 02/16/2018
- This mountain town is an outdoor paradise you can actually afford – 11/24/2017
- The 25 Best Small Lake Towns in America – June 9, 2017 CountyLiving Magazine (scroll to #22 to see Vallecito Lake)
- Spirit of the Southwest: Durango, Silverton, Ouray & Pagosa Springs – 9/11/2017 on Colorado.com
- CNN Fit Nation: Iron Horse Classic
- Sunset Magazine TRAVEL AWARDS 2016 Finalists for “Best Adventure Town”
- 10 U.S. Cities Where The Weather Is Perfect Year-Round – DURANGO
- North America’s 10 Most Livable Ski Towns Year-Round – Liftopia – October 23, 2014
- 10 best cycling towns in America: Readers’ Choice picks – USA Today – April 18, 2014
- Top 10 True Western Towns of 2015 – True West Magazine – January 13, 2015
- Where to Backpack in 2016 – National Geographic Traveler
- Snowplay in Durango, Colorado – Enjoy sunshine and skiing in Colorado’s San Juans – Sunset online magazine
- 10 Best Reasons to Take the Kids to Durango, Colorado – USA Today 10 BEST – November 30, 2012